Friday, March 22, 2013

The California Raisins II: Raisins Sold Out! (1990) Review:


I actually did not know there was a sequel to the TV hit Meet the Raisins! (1988) until just recently. Once I knew for sure that there was, I obtained the footage as quickly as possible and sat down and watched it. Its running time is about equal to the first but there are some key components missing to this that don't make it equal in quality to the first.

Leonard Limabean.....looks dasterdly right?
I think I can honestly say that no one likes backtracking. Does anyone like moving forward by first going backward (if that makes any sense)? I don't think so and I know I don't. But that's what happens in the second story of the energetic California Raisins. Screenwriter Rowby Goren seemed to be the only person who thought the story was a good one. In short terms, a corrupt talent agent, Leonard Limabean, tries to break up the California Raisins through deception.

The reason why this doesn't work is because this ends up having the California Raisins perform really wacky songs. Disco-polka? Country-rap?...It's not like it isn't funny or creative because it is, but that's not why I wanted to view this movie. I wanted to see the California Raisins come out with more of their own music! I mean, isn't that what made the first one so popular? The only song that it retained from the first film is "Heard it through the grapevine".

The claymation is still there....
Plus, this film isn't a parody/documentary like the first one. This is more like an episode if it were a running TV Show (which they did have at one point by the way). But to call this a sequel,...eh...it really isn't. I will give credit though for keeping most of the voice acting consistent and sticking with the claymation. I will always give props for that because it is not an easy skill. Other than that, there's not much else. If you're a California Raisins fan looking for fun, then it will satisfy. If you're a fan wanting a new album release of these characters, you're going to be disappointed.

Will Vinton's California Raisins sequel doesn't hit the high mark like the first output because there aren't any new music numbers. It's still fun though, if that's all you're looking for.

Points Earned --> 7:10

No comments:

Post a Comment