Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Cable Guy (1996) Review:

Jim Carrey is one of the masters of slapstick comedy and he has made some really funny movies. He's also made some comedies that are funny but do not the reach the expectations of the viewer to the highest level. That's what The Cable Guy did for me. I had some good laughs but it was few too many. The Cable Guy is a roller coaster ride of emotions.

Imagine going from this,........
In this movie, The Cable Guy, played by Jim Carrey is a lonely character who has a lisp and is only looking for friendship. Except he doesn't know how to really keep a friend the right way. We learn this as we see Steven (Matthew Broderick) get sucked into a heap of trouble that takes an awful long time for him to clear his name. At first, The Cable Guy seems like a guy who's only trying to help. But he soon turns into a bad apple. Jim Carrey can be funny as a bad apple but it has to be done the right way. This is not one of them. By the end of the movie I still felt conflict because I couldn't decide whether The Cable Guy was likable or not. I still can't now.


So besides Carrey being an annoying character, what else is wrong with this movie? Here's what - the film never took a side on what the viewer should really feel. There are so many times in the film where I was at a loss of what to feel for The Cable Guy. Some moments, I felt really bad for him and others times where I laughed at the things he did or said. Then there were other moments where I wanted to leave a couple knuckle imprints on his face. And it's not even how fast the movie changed tones but it was how frequent these feelings occurred. Seriously Stiller? Pick one tone will you? Stop making me laugh in one scene and get mad in the next! That's one thing I could not agree with.

To THIS! (No nothing's edited here)
Matthew Broderick along with several other actors, including Ben Stiller (director cameo), do a good job portraying their characters. I will give credit to Jim Carrey that he did have me feel The Cable Guy WAS annoying. I did laugh a couple times but I expected more. I truly DID wish I laughed more, but the film didn't speak to me in the way it spoke to me in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. I am glad there was not a sequel to this film. I'm not sure if I would want to see another cable guy film unless somehow The Cable Guy's personality changed for the better but still had his silly goofiness. That would be more interesting to see.

The Cable Guy has its funny moments due to Carrey's forte in slapstick, but there might not be as many laughs as expected. Due to the negative connotation that The Cable Guy is portrayed, viewers may be turned off by his obnoxious personality.

Points Earned --> 6:10

No comments:

Post a Comment