Monday, November 12, 2012

Timecop (1994) Review:

Time travel is always a neat concept when it comes to movies. It also can be quite confusing. And because there are these too extremes to using this idea, only some people can use it wisely enough and not have the film involve too much time travel. Director Peter Hyams displays that he's one of those people who can handle this kind of situation. From start to finish, I was thoroughly sure I knew where and what was going on. I wasn't confused once. This shows Hyams had control of how much time travel was used in one instance.

Mia Sara & Jean-Claude Van Damme make a cute couple no?
Timecop is actually a generalization for the people who do the job, but focuses on the story of Max Walker (Jean-Claude Van Damme), a man who belongs to an institution of individuals who police time, based on a popular Dark Horse comic. As stated, time travel was discovered in 1994 and now there are people needed to prevent the past from being altered. One thing I didn't understand was that throughout the entire film, I only saw about two or three timecops. Where's everyone else? However, I only noticed this after the film had ended. I was too busy focusing on what was currently happening on screen.

Going back to Van Damme, I was somewhat skeptical about his performance, but in the end, I had much appreciation for it. However, my only complaint is that he reminds me of other actors. His voice sounds a little like Antonio Banderas, his fighting techniques and flexibility, which are impressive, look too much like Jackie Chan's style, and lastly he sports this Peter Weller hair-do as if he were playing Alex Murphy from RoboCop (1987) and not a timecop. I'm not saying this is bad but I was hoping Van Damme would come out as his own actor and not like someone else. Like I said though, Van Damme is cool when he's fighting and he also has some comical moments too. I liked the character of Max Walker, I just thought he'd be somewhat more original and not a knock-off of some other character.

Ron Silver as the power hungry Aaron McComb
Playing the villain, Aaron McComb, is Ron Silver, a corrupt politician who will do anything to make sure he's sitting in the president's chair by the end of the election. Even Silver has some unique moments where he lashes out at characters and then abruptly simmers down. This shows good characterization because it reveals what a loose cannon McComb is and why he’s not fit for a president. Mia Sara portrays Max Walker’s wife, Melissa Walker. I also think that the two actors made a good couple; too bad it wasn't real. Melissa definitely may not be a physically strong character, but she has a hardy spirit. As the film came to its finale, I had a fondness for her bravery.

The special effects are also fair game. There wasn't anything that seemed to be overloaded with CGI and the idea of "matter occupying two spaces at one time" is also another visual treat to see. The part where the film shows how the police go back in time was intriguing as well. It recalled what it was like to first watch Back to the Future (1985), with a speeding vehicle hurtling towards some wall and then suddenly disappearing with track marks ablaze. Mark Isham composed the score to this film. Sadly, I did not feel a whole lot from it but and maybe that's because there was no theme song to it. But it definitely was a soundtrack, because it wasn't noise like Keith Emerson’s score from Nighthawks (1981). What a mess that was!

Peter Hyams' direction on the Dark Horse comic of a time traveling police officer not only boasts visuals, but also has a great story line. The characters are nicely acted and the action scenes are well played.

Points Earned --> 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment