Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ghost Busters (1984) Review:

Ghost Busters is supposedly one of the greatest comedies ever to hit the big screen. I'll admit although the special effects are old, they still are a marvel to look at from so many years ago. I also enjoyed the actors who played in this movie I feel that they all did really well at their jobs. A lot of them had funny moments. My only complaint is that I did not have enough laughs. I felt that there were parts that were supposed to be funny but seemed liked they were out of place.

The original 3 Ghost Busters
Starring as the awesome four in this film are Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. Murray is good at being a smart mouthed "doctor". Aykroyd is good at making himself look like a complete science nerd with the way he talks. Ramis' character, although somewhat awkward is funny to watch too. As for Hudson, I've always enjoyed the way he makes his character look and act. Even Sigourney Weaver from Alien (1979) has some interesting moments.

Together these actors come out on top and make the film very enjoyable. The only problem I didn't seem to understand is the humor in this film. Yeah it was funny for the most part but some moments seemed out of context, or just plain weird. Either it's me because I'm from another generation or it's just that it wasn't that funny. I'm not sure. When I heard people talk about Ghost Busters I expected to have gut busting laughter. I did laugh but not a lot and not out loud. For a movie of this magnitude of fans, you'd think it would be hard to resist, but I didn't cling to me like it did to other viewers.

Slimer,...an iconic symbol of the franchise
I liked the music that was played in the background. Composed and conducted by Elmer Bernstein, it has jokey attitude, which helps this movie with its comedic moments. I liked how the tuba played as the main title came on. It was because of that intro, I got a better understanding of how serious Director Ivan Reitman wanted this film to be.

The special effects are still lovable in this film. Seeing the Ghost Busters' use their equipment, such as the beam guns, brings back fond memories of watching Disney's Black Hole (1979). My favorite moment is when Bill Murray's character has an encounter with a green slime ghost. It's fun to watch and to imagine of how at the time, something like that could have been pulled off. Of course there are parts that are much better than this but I don't want to give them away. Overall I enjoyed the film, even with the setbacks I had when it ended.

Ghost Busters is a funny science fiction comedy with some really unique special effects. Director Ivan Reitman picked a good cast for this film and they work well together to boot.


Points Earned --> 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment